Plaster Molding Installation Instruction and Guidelines
STEP 1 - PLANNING AHEAD
- Joints require careful fitting. Allow for the following waste with installation:
1. Allow approximately 1 foot per 10 feet of wall coverage for maintaining the continuous and repeating patterns
2. Allow approximately 1 foot per corner for mitering joints
- Mark the ceiling and wall with lines indicating the edges and projection of the molding. Locate and mark studs/ceiling joists for fastening molding.
- Installation should start and end in the least noticeable corner. Most molding contains a pattern, so the end of your final piece may not match the pattern where you began.
- Our moldings are designed for interior use only. Some moldings are available for exterior use using a special formulation at a premium price; this must be discussed and arranged at the time the order is placed.
STEP 2 - PRE-INSTALLATION
- All inside and outside corners should be mitered. Miter cuts should be done in a miter box with moldings placed as if mounted on the wall.
- As an alternative to mitering, incorporate corner blocks, and butt joints to corner blocks
- Match patterns and molding thicknesses before final installation. Slight variations may occur from piece to piece. If an adjustment is needed, rasp the ends and/or back to assure flush fit.
STEP 3 - INSTALLATION OF MOLDING
- Apply adhesive to the back side of molding. Spread it evenly over the surface area that will be bonded to the wall and ceiling.
- Butt joints tightly in order to avoid separation
- Fasten molding to studs using coated finishing nails or screws. Countersink nails or screws 1/8”.
- Remove excess adhesive and fill nail/screw holes and joints with non-shrink spackling compound or a plaster and water mix.
STEP 4 - FINISHING
- Prime and paint (flat paints recommended); seal, stain, or varnish; or faux finish the moldings. We do not recommend finishing molding before installing the molding.
*The user shall determine and assume full responsibility for the suitability and installation of this product.